Sunday, June 15, 2014

Volunteer changes

For no particular reason, I skipped the Georgetown Carnival yesterday.  I did rather want to see the Powertool drag races.  With the main street closed I had no idea about where to park and the website had no hints on that.  My motivation fizzled. 

But I have homework!  I'm planning a transition to another position at the Museum of Flight:  Living History interpreter.  I met with the program coordinator last Thursday.  I have some information to read over.  She also allowed me to rifle through the files of potential characters to portray.  I brought home a thick pile of copies on WWI nurses and Katharine Wright, sister to the Wright Brothers. 

While the Museum has a costume shop (!!), they don't have late Victorian dress.  So I'll need to make something.  I believe I already have enough in my closet with which to get started if I just wanted to do Ms. Wright.  I'm leaning in that direction. Katharine is on the right.




I've also applied to be a Living History interpreter at Fort Nisqually.  I was very inspired by my last visit and discussion with the volunteer there.  However, it's been over a week since I sent the application and no response.  I've sent a followup "did you receive this?" email.  Nadda.  Maybe the coordinator is on vacation?  If nothing in another few days, I'll send it paper snail mail.

With the thought that I might be able to demonstrate period watercolor illustration (which was suggested by the volunteer with whom I spoke), I ordered Cathy Johnson's Living History: Drawing on the Past, which was suggested by a staff member at the Fort.  "She has written several books of interest to living historians or interpreters".  I first became aware of her through Urban Sketchers but she is also involved in historical re-enactment

On a sadder note, I've been thinking of my cousin, John, whose funeral was Thursday.  I found a nice tribute from the local newspaper.  I also found his full obituary.  My gosh, I never realized he had 15 grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren!  It has been 12 years since I last visited Michigan. 

In the course of looking through these tributes, I found this on the funeral home website.  One can "send comfort food" to the family, as well as flowers.    I guess it makes sense.  We are now so mobile that we live far away from family and friends.  In the past, one made a nice casserole and dropped by to leave it with the grieving family.  Most of the time we can't do that so easily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment