Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Getting Started at the Fort

On Monday I had my orientation to the Sewing Guild at Fort Nisqually.  Terry took me on a walk through, showed me how the clothes are organized.  Then we went upstairs to the sewing room.

I looked through the pattern cabinet and noted a few patterns I might like to use.























They have many dresses and accessories to loan.  Once I start volunteering as an Interpreter, I'll borrow something.  It gives me a chance to try some styles before I go to the effort and expense of making my own.

I will likely eventually have to make a corset.  I'll wait until the big workshop in October as the leader will be covering that.

















Terry showed how the European Immigrant women's clothes includes four petticoats:  chemise, corded petticoat, flounced petticoat and over petticoat.  That's a lot of fabric!  She said that sewing with a machine is acceptable, but any stitches that will show on the outside of the garment are best done by hand. 

Then I actually did some work.  I mended two garments by hand before I had to leave for an appointment back at home.  It may be a couple weeks before I'm back but there are 3 more garments waiting for me.  Then they need men's vests so I plan to start with those for construction. 

I don't know when I'll have a chance to start as an Interpreter in period clothing.  I'm exercising patience.  However, I've already assembled a few pieces of kit for demonstrating watercolor illustration.  Some I already had.  I did buy a metal palette. 

No comments:

Post a Comment