Thursday, March 27, 2014

Portland, Monday

I made a 3 day trip to Portland to visit a friend.

Monday 2014 0324  Photos are here.
Don was up when I left, which was about 8am.  He wasn't feeling much better.  On the way south, I stopped at Point Defiance Park.  I'd found on line that there were supposed to be cherry trees there.  I found one.  I sketched it!



Back on the road to Portland.  Arrived about 12:30pm.  Wanda hadn't eaten lunch, so we went to her favorite tiny place.  Then on for our self-Guided tour of Grimm locations!

We easily found Nick's house.  There were signs outside marking No Parking for 3/25-27 due to "Filming".  Yay!!!  We're going over to see whether we can catch it!


The lot where Aunt Marie's trailer is stored was harder to find.  There was no actual street number at the location.  By process of elimination, it seems to be this vacant lot

We gave up trying to get to Portland Police station.  Between blocked streets, one way and traffic, we just had a hard time getting there.

So the next stop was Rosalee's herb shop.  The address turned out to be a bike shop.  I wondered how they turned that into the shop.  Then Wanda noticed an empty door next to it with no number.  But it seemed much more likely to be the location used for filming! It was on a block with the Salvation Army shelter and Oregon Leather.


Next we drove further south to find Monroe's house.  It seemed to be vacant and was an older home.  It did look like it was just down from the park where the first episode with the runner was shot.


There was a great view of Mt. Hood from that hill!


We went to Powell's.  I didn't find any of the books for which I'm looking.  I did buy the book light that Tina recommended for sketching in the dark!

Check in to my room at McMenamin's Kennedy School.  They've added 22 new rooms in a newly built wing.  It's still just as cool and beautiful as the original building.  We ate dinner there and then I took Wanda back home.  All the photos of the hotel are here.



I did a walk about the hotel as there are many cool rooms and bars.  This is the fireplace in the interior courtyard.


 I had a hard cider in the Boiler Room bar.  It was exactly that in the original school.  Did a sketch from my 3rd floor vantage point.









No comments:

Post a Comment